Saturday, March 19, 2011

Cloaked by Alex Flinn

Summary

I’m not your average hero. I actually wasn’t your average anything. Just a poor guy working and after-school job at a South Beach shoe repair shop to help his mom make ends met. But a little magic changed it all. it all started with a curse. And a frognapping. And one hot-looking-princess, who asked me to lead a rescue mission. There wasn’t a fairy godmother or any of that. And even though I fell I love along the way, what happened to me is unlike any fairy tale I’ve ever heard. Before I know it, I was spying with a flock of enchanted swans, talking (yes, talking!) to a fox named Todd, and nearly trampled by giants in the Keys. Don’t believe me? I didn’t believe it either. But you’ll see. Because I knew it all was true, the second I got CLOAKED.


  • Number of pages: 337

Summary

Alex Flinn has perfected her story telling with her enchanting versions of Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. This time she went in a different direction combining all sorts of old, original fairy tales. I didn’t know more than half of these stories, but I don’t care because Alex Flinn made each of them separately come alive in CLOAKED. It was fun, refreshing, and cute. I can’t say that it was better than her other ones, but in its own way it was very engaging.

The main character was definitely unconventional, and absolutely not what you would think of when you hear “hero”. This is not even you would think to be a sidekick to be honest, that’s why it was so interesting. There were times when he really bugged me because he wasn’t one to go rushing in to save the princess (or in this case the prince) which seemed a little bit, well, wimpy at times. He did pull through though, props to him.

Something I loved a lot was the quotes. They were all mainly about shoes (because Johnny is obsessed with shoes), but I loved how they were thrown in there. And the mini excerpts of the fairy tales that were incorporated in the book.

All around CLOAKED was enjoyable, if not a bit predictable. I wasn't kept on my toes, or surprised as much as I would have liked, but I say it was pretty good so from 1-10? Alex Flinn’s CLOAKED gets a 6.5

No comments:

Post a Comment