Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mortal Instrument Series Book 5: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Summary

The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace freed from captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing, so is the boy she hates: her brother Sebastian, who is determined to bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.
The Clave’s magic cannot locate either boy, but Jace can’t stay away from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith’s magic has wrought—Jace and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become a servant of evil.
Only a few people believe that Jace can still be saved. Together, Alec, Magnus,, Simon, and Isabelle bargain with the sinister Seelie Queen, contemplate deals with demons, and turn at last to the merciless, weapon-making Iron Sisters, who might be able to gorge a weapon that can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. If the Iron Sister’s can’t help, their only hope is to challenge Heaven and Hell—a risk that could claim their lives.
And they must do it without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. She’s willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Number of pages: 534

Review

I’m not sure what to say. If you’ve read my reviews on the Mortal Instruments series, even the Infernal Devices series that is also by the same author, you know that I adore these books. The writing, the characters, the plot line, all of it is constructed in a way that leaves you literally on the edge of your seat (in my case it’s my bed) and hooked on every word that is written between the very detailed covers of the book. City of Lost Souls, book five in the Mortal Instruments series, has all those aspects as well, but I can’t help feel that the whole plot line is being dragged on a bit. There are so many added twists and dramas and conflicts . . . why can’t they have an ending, preferably a happy one? I would go into detail as to why, but that would be a direct violation of my no spoilers motto. Trust me on this one, if you haven’t read the series and you want to start, you won’t want me ruining anything by giving up any info.

Other than feeling like Clary and her friends’ story will never end, the book was all right. The characters were magnificently played out, as always. I fell in love with Simon in this book, no biggie. I laughed so hard in this book, and yelled with excitement a few times. There were some creepy and disturbing parts, so I do not recommend any of my younger readers to get a hold of this book, at least not until they are ready. I rate it a strong PG-13. I felt like new sides of each of the characters were shown. Those you never thought would do anything bad ended up betraying people, while those who are hard and stoic half the time were surprisingly tender and sincere. I feel like the conflict in this book was a little much. Like I said I want to know the ending (ahh!), even if I don’t want this series to end. Then again . . . that’s what rereading is for. Anyway, not only did read a book that I really like though it was drawn out, I also have to wait until who knows how long for the next and final book in the series to come out to see how everyone ends up even though I am going to have to RE-re-read all five books again to remember how things left off. Tedious, I know. After all this, they better end up in a good place, or else I am going to go crazy. From 1-10? I’ll give it an 8. Mostly because I am a bit biased, not going to lie.  

No comments:

Post a Comment